Monday, February 9, 2015

My story

       
 
Breaking down the bars. My story of survival, defeat, and rising again.


I began this blog for myself, so that I would be able to look back on my journey of being a Nuss patient. When I was told by many how my story inspired and moved them, I decided that maybe part of my suffering could be of use to others. If I can change just one life, I am happy. If I can change one persons outlook on life, I can smile.

This Is my story. Welcome to it.

K


December 31st, 2014. It's 3:30 AM. My eyes open and my heart starts racing . This is it. The day has come. 

I stand under the shower head letting hot water pour over my face to hide my tears for several minutes . I wash with the special soap I was given for pre op. It smells like surgery . I know this smell well. I look down at my chest. It's the last time I will ever see if like this . How is this day already here? 

I dress . I pray. Can't brush my teeth. I sit . I wake up my dear friend Taylor . She slid in to my bed at 10:45 the night before because she didn't want me to sleep alone. How big of a heart does she have ? She hugs me. We pack my bag and im ready. My best friend of God knows how long shows up at 4:45 looking like Miss America with a huge smile on her face . I instantly feel better . She says " we are off to cabo!!!" 

As we got closer to the hospital my hands got clammy. When I stepped out of the car I breathed in the icy air knowing it would be the last time I would breathe it for a long time . 

I walked through the front doors and headed to admissions. As the administrator put on my hospital bands she said " praise him.. All the time praise him" .

The rest is a blur. Next thing I know Dee's mother is by my side, Marianne, Taylor, and one of my dearest friends Tim. They pray with me, and the next thing I know I'm in the OR with a room full. Im used to the OR but it's very different when you're the one on the table. From there , it does black. 

No comments:

Post a Comment